Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Glee... Exactly what I expected

Personally I have television shows and movies that I absolutely refuse to watch. Usually my reasons for boycotting such outlets stem from seeing snippets, knowing the premise of said entertainment, or on many occasions it’s because the fan base surrounding it is absolutely retarded.
There are some points in time though where I am put into a situation where I watch the piece of material, either because I'm forced too or I decide to give it a shot for the sake of knowing its utter shit.

In today’s particular case I ended up seeing an episode of the highly successful, Emmy award winning program Glee. This was a mistake. This show (at least to someone of my ...unique? taste) was absolute garbage. I know what you’re thinking

“But Camgore, you can’t judge and entire TV show based on one episode!”

And to that I say “eat shit”

For one I am extremely bias, in the sense that I hate almost every musical ever created. Accept for Grease... just because at its core a it is a badass movie (and Olivia Newton John is so damn hot!). Anyways, so from what I gathered Glee is a rip off of Saved By The Bell but with less interesting setting, story line, characters and filled with song and dance routines that are in some way supposed to explain what going on in the “story line”
I stuck story line in quotations because from what I gathered the show spends so much time setting up its ridiculous musical numbers that it completely lacks a good plot or structure. The characters are completely unrealistic (which is how they connect to Saved By The Bell) and the comedy is more eye-gougingly pretentious and riddled with as many over-the-top obvious pop culture references as a Diablo Cody movie. It seems that the only thing that keeps its audience (mainly made up of 12-25 year old girls) is the musical numbers, which usually butcher classic rock songs or rehash terrible songs many music lovers wish would have stayed buried.

The episode I saw focused on the music of Britney Spears and how important her music is to everyone... yea. The plot of the episode was about a bunch of underage girls and a disabled kid (who looks like Warowitz from The Big Bang Theory) getting gassed with Nitrous by John Stamos and them tripping balls and having Britney Spears related fantasies. I've had nitrous, and it definitely didn't send me into musical fantasies... I think maybe Stamos slipped those kids a little GHB. Overall the plot was stupid and only reminded me how annoying the singing groups were in my High School's music department.

This show obviously isn’t for everyone. If you like very little plot and popular music this is probably the show for you. Personally I like getting more than 2 minutes of story out of a 45 minute program.
As one final note: I think they should change the name of their fans from “Gleek’s” to Gleetard’s

No comments: